Subject: Colombian Mantis ID?
Location: Medellin, Colombia
June 15, 2013 4:11 am
My friend, Juan Pablo Silva, found and photographed this amazing mantis in the city centre of Medellin Colombia. He gave me permission to send it to entomology websites for identification obviously as long as I say he took the picture.
Here’s the flickr link to the mantis picture:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juansilva93/9032495052/
thanks 🙂
Signature: Daniel M

Mantis from Colombia

Mantis from Colombia

We do not recognize your friend’s Mantis, and we haven’t the time right now to search for its identity.  There are many Mantis aficionados in the world, and perhaps one of our readers will write in with an identification before we can do the research.

Update:  June 5, 2014
We just received a comment that this isseudovates peruviana, which can be viewed on the Mantes Exotiques forum.

Location: Medellin, Colombia

12 Responses to Unknown Mantis from Colombia

1. brenden says:

Nice photo. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a leaf attach to a stem. We people should took care of our environments so that this kind of living creatures stays longer and its consanguine will continue to live in many decades, and also the next generation will see the beauty of nature.
    case colombia

2. brenden says:

case colombia

3. Eric says:

I’m not positive, but this mantis looks a lot like the Texas Unicorn Mantis, Phyllovates chlorophaea. The information I’ve been able to collect indicates that Texas Unicorn Mantids range from Texas to northern South America, so it’s definitely possible. In any case, it’s a lovely specimen, and an excellent picture!

4. Joshua says:

I agree, female Phyllovates! Not sure it’s possible to get her to species from this information though.

5. Daniel says:

Thanks a lot everyone,

It does indeed seem like a female Phyllovate chloraphaea

kind regards,
    Daniel

6. Daniel says:

Thanks a lot everyone,

kind regards,
    Daniel

7. Diego Rios says:

Hi, I’m also from medellin Colombia and some years ago I had this same species as a pet … it’s beautiful … its is kind “pseudovates peruviana” … sorry but I translated the text, I do not speak very much English.

Happy day.

Diego Rios – diegorios0611@gmail.com

8. Diego Rios says:

Happy day.

Diego Rios – diegorios0611@gmail.com

9. Tony says:

Woah ! I wonder if it’s even a bug. At my first sight, I think it’s a leaf attached to it’s tiny branch of tree. But Nature is unpredictable. The bug is simply amazing. Thanks to the author for posting this and my regards to other commentators, for identifying this bug.
    Regards,
    play.google.com

10. Tony says:

Regards,
    play.google.com