Subject: b
Location: Staten Island, NY
Hi! I was hoping someone could positively identify this bug, and maybe provide some info on it. I think it might be a pine sawyer, but I’m not sure.
I found it inside my house in Staten Island, NY just as a long winter was finally ending. This was also after Hurricane Sandy hit our area pretty hard and it started to get cold…..
Is this a common insect around here? I’ve never seen one like it before.
Signature: -b

Brown Prionid

Brown Prionid

Dear b,
Like the Sawyers, this is a Longhorned Borer, but unlike the Sawyers, it is in the subfamily Prioninae, and we believe it is the Brown Prionid, Orthosoma brunneum.  Prionids are Root Borers that spend their larval stage “in poles, roots(?) in contact with wet ground” according to BugGuide, which also indicates:  “Adults come to bait, so presumably take some rotting fruit, sap?”  They are a wide ranging eastern species and they are not considered to be rare, though they might be absent in some portions of their range due to a shortage of available food.

Brown Prionid

Brown Prionid

Hi Daniel!
Thank you for the response and information!
-brandon

Location: Staten Island, New York