Subject: Brand-new magicicada
Location: Manassas, Virginia
Here is a Magicicada fresh out of its shell:)
Signature: Katie

Periodical Cicada

Periodical Cicada

Hi Katie,
Thanks for sending a photo of a Brood II Periodical Cicada.  Can you provide some additional information?  Was this an isolated sighting or part of a swarm?  If it was an isolated individual, we wonder if it is part of the advanced guard of the new emergence.  Since we haven’t received many images of Brood II Cicadas, we also wonder if this will not be an exceptional year or if the brood is late in appearing.

Update from Katie:  June 18, 2013
I had MANY cicadas in my yard this year- I live in Manassas Virginia, and my neighborhood has been pretty un-touched by all the development that surrounds it.  They started emerging from the ground around the first or second week of May.  For sure, part of a swarm-every time I parked my car a pile of the little guys would latch on to my tires to shed ( all of which were removed before departure) and they were EVERYWHERE!!  The trees sang for about a month-haven’t heard them lately, think they got the job done:) Beautiful creatures-I feel lucky that I got to have them hang out in my yard!  With all the development in the northern Virginia area though, I’m afraid many of them where probably uprooted along with the trees:(

Location: Manassas, Virginia