Subject: Trapdoor spider?
Location: Northeast Louisiana
When I went out to check my swimming pool skimmer, as I do every morning, I found a large black spider which appeared to be dead in the bottom of the trap. I pulled the trap out and collected the spider in a jar, startled by the size of it. At first I thought it was a small tarantula, but it didn’t have hair on it and I new that is characteristic of them. I took it to work with me to see if anyone new what it was. No one there new what it was, so after doing some research I found the funnel web spider in Australia (yikes), which looks almost identical to it, but I was confident I didn’t have one of those. Finally I found an image of the trapdoor spider that was very close to my spider. I hope you can tell me for sure what I have, and the sex of the spider. For a note of geography, I live in northeast Louisiana and found the spider on June 5, 2013.
Signature: Bugbunny

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

Dear Bugbunny,
We agree that this is a Trapdoor Spider, most likely a Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider in the genus
Ummidia.  See BugGuide for some matching photos. 

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

The short legs indicate that this is most likely a female spider and female Trapdoor Spiders do not generally wander far from their holes.  Male Trapdoor Spiders, on the other hand, often wander in search of a mate and we frequently get reports of male Trapdoor Spiders drowning in pools

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider

Location: louisiana

2 Responses to Cork Lid Trapdoor Spider drowned in swimming pool

1. I recieved one found in a pool too:
    http://www.insetologia.com.br/2013/02/aranha-de-alcapao-em-minas-gerais.html
    I thought it was an isolated case!

We have other examples in our archives Cesar, but again, it is generally the males of the Trapdoor Spiders that wander in search of a mate and fall into pools.