Subject: Bumble Bee?
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Hi
I found this bee wobbling along my deck this afternoon, so moved him to safety onto a shrub. I’ve seen what I believe are Common Eastern Bumble Bees, but never one like this. Do you know what type of bee it is?
Signature: Sue

Bumble Bee

Eastern Carpenter Bee

Dear Sue,
We will try to determine the correct species of this impressive Bumble Bee.  We have postdated your submission to go live in early June to compensate for our absence during a holiday.

Bumble Bee

Eastern Carpenter Bee

Later in the afternoon I saw another, same colours/pattern except fuzzy all over.
Sue

Correction:  12 June 2013
Thanks to a comment, we now realize this is a Carpenter Bee, not Bumble Bee
We suspect the bee Sue saw later that was fuzzy all over was most likely a Bumble Bee.

Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

3 Responses to Eastern Carpenter Bee

1. Matt says:

Almost certainly an eastern carpenter bee (which is why she was checking out your deck). Xylocopa virginica

2. Oh, that’s what I was gonna talk about. In many cases, I cannot tell if it’s a bumble or a carpenter bee, is there any hint? In this case, I see the naked abdomen.