Subject: 3” Spider found in VT!
Location: Vermont, USA
Hi there! Although I am deathly afraid of spiders, I make a habit of identifying the ones that I find to better know my enemy. lol But this one that my friend found has eluded me. She says its 3” in size! That’s gotta be the biggest spider I’ve heard of anyone finding around here. She lives in a very country part of the state, lots of woods and mountains surround where she is (but I live further north in a more populated area). We would love to know what kind of spider this is. Her because she has dogs and would like to know if its poisonous, and me as I mentioned to better know my enemy species. 🙂
Signature: Kat

Fishing Spider

Fishing Spider

Hi Kat,
This is a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes.  They are large and impressive spiders that are often found near water.  The more you read about them, the less you will fear them and we hope you will eventually learn to appreciate them.  Female Fishing Spiders have strong maternal instincts and they guard their eggs and young.  Though they might bite, they are not aggressive and they are not considered dangerous to either humans or pets.  Since we will be away from the office in early June, we are postdating this submission to go live at that time.

Location: Vermont

2 Responses to Fishing Spider

1. Ben M. says:

I caught a full-grown Dolomedes in the bathroom of my rancher in central Maryland, and keep her in a glass terrarium designed for reptiles with some rocks and a puddle of water. She’ll eat a fairly large moth every week or so, and while she’s not exactly affectionate, she’s fascinating to observe.

Though they do not live long, we imaging they make very interesting pets.
      You might want to consider releasing her eventually so she can mate and reproduce.