Subject: Who is eating my potatoes?
Location: Fairview (north of Dallas), Texas
Hey Bugman,
I found 2 of these guys on my potato plants this morning and was wondering what they are. I’ve never seen them before.
Signature: Gail in the Garden

Colorado Potato Beetle Larva

Colorado Potato Beetle Larva

Dear Gail,
This is the larva of a Colorado Potato Beetle, Leptinotarsa decemlineata, a native species that originated in high altitude areas of Colorado where it fed on native plants in the nightshade family Solanaceae.  When potatoes began to be grown commercially, the range of the Colorado Potato Beetle expanded greatly.  Here is some information from BugGuide:  “Before the introduction of the potato in the US this beetle was confined to Colorado and neighboring states feeding on some native species of Solanum (night shade), now it has spread to most potato growing areas.  It has been transported to Europe where it has become a serious pest.”  Your submission will go live to our site in early June as we must postdate submissions to populate our site with new material during our short absence away from the office.

Location: Fairview, Texas

2 Responses to Potato Beetle Larva

1. rodney franklin says:

how to control potato bugs?