Subject: Saved from drowning in cats’ water bowl… what is it?
Location: Orange, VA near Lake Orange
Found this morning lying still in pet water dish, May 31, 2013. After drying out on deck rail, it came to life, crawling on my arm. Segmented, very long antennae. Front legs look webbed or clubbed on feet. Has tiny ”hairs” enabling it to stick to anything. Kind of grasshopper like or beetle. Can you tell from my photo what it might be. Location: Orange, VA, piedmont area of central VA. Love your website!
Signature: Janine E

Sawyer

Sawyer

Hi Janine,
This is one of the Sawyers in the genus
Monochamus, and the especially long antennae is an indication this is a male.  Sawyers are Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae.  There is not enough detail in your photo to be certain of the species, but you can browse through BugGuide to try to determine the most likely species.

Thank you, Mr. Marlos, for identifying the bug I found. I will enjoy reading up on the Sawyer or Longhorned Borer Beetles. Could be we have them on our pine trees that were damaged by storms this and last year.
Your quick and timely response is greatly appreciated.
Janine

P.S.  We also tagged you as a Bug Humanitarian.

Thank you. Believe it or not, I am kind to spiders and stink bugs too. When I find them in my house, I catch them and put them outdoors. Insects are interesting critters. My father taught me to appreciate nature, and had a book by Jean-Henri Fabre, a French entomologist and author, that I really enjoyed.

Location: Orange, Virginia