Subject: Cecropia?
Location: Elmira, NY
We found this beautiful thing in July 2012. I tried to put it back and it kept going for the ground. So we decided to keep it in a can. It made a cocoon and nothing every happened. Tonight it arrived (10 months later). I would set it free tonight but it’s raining. I hope it will be okay overnight.
Signature: Michelle Buchanan

Cecropia Caterpillar

Cecropia Caterpillar

Hi Michelle,
Your identification of a Cecropia Moth Caterpillar and adult moth is correct.  Congratulations on successfully rearing this beautiful creature from the caterpillar through adult.  We wish there was better resolution in the photo of the adult moth.  It appears that the antennae are not especially plumose or feathery, indicating that this is a female Cecropia Moth.  If she is releasing pheromones, you might be greeted by her attracting all the males in the vicinity.

Cecropia Moth

Cecropia Moth

Daniel, thanks so much for your response. We set it free this morning, and I’ve attached a few pictures I took with my good camera so you. Can enjoy this beautiful creature.

Cecropia Moth

Cecropia Moth

Hi Again Michelle,
Thanks for the additional and higher quality photos.  We still believe she is a female.

Cecropia Moth

Cecropia Moth

Location: Elmira, New York