Subject: beetle?
Location: thassos, greece
Hi, we found it on the beach , I ’ve never seen so big insect around, can you determine it?
Signature: george

Giant Water Bug

Hi George,
This is a Giant Water Bug in the family Belostomatidae.  They are predatory aquatic insects that are also capable of flight when their habitat dries up.
  Giant Water Bugs are commonly called Toe-Biters in North America, because although they are not aggressive toward humans, they will give a painful bite if carelessly handled or accidentally encountered.

Location: Thassos, Greece

4 Responses to Giant Water Bug from Greece

1. Daniel Jestrzemski says:

Dear George, Dear Bugman,
    I am very much interested in giant water bugs (Lethocerus sp.) and their distribution and ecology worldwide. I was quite stunned that they actually do occur in Southern Europe. From my knowledge this European species is Lethocerus patruelis and it can get very big. Could you tell me the body length of this Greek water bug (in mm), and how big was the biggest one that you have seen in Greece or elsewhere in Europe? Thanks for any info 🙂 !

We don’t know if George will know that you have posted a comment to his submission. This isn’t too old of a posting. We might be able to track down George’s email address and notify him that you have a question regarding his submission.

2. Kate Black says:

Just found one on my balcony this evening. I had never seen one before and thankfully wasn’t hard to identify after a quick google search. The one I found was about 2.5″ long. Kefalonia, Greece.

3. George says:

There are also found in a village called Koufalia in Central Macedonia, Greece. I have encountered many of them and have taken a lots of pictures….