Subject: Swarms on front porch in Florida
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Hi, I have these little critters swarming my front porch and coming in my front door in the evenings. A lot of them! My son says that he was stung by one. They are about the size of a house fly. It is early May here and the nights are starting to warm up. There is a light on the front porch and it appears they are attracted to that.
thanks for your input….
Signature: Jaxgnat

Two-Lined Spittlebug

Two-Lined Spittlebug

Dear Jaxgnat,
Thank you for reporting that the Two-Lined Spittlebugs,
Prosapia bicincta, are currently common in Florida.  Like other members of their order Hemiptera, Spittlebugs have mouths designed for piercing and sucking, and we imagine that thought they feed on plants, they are likely capable of biting a human.  According to BugGuide:  “In the immature (nymph) stage (surrounded by the “spittle” foam which protects them, and which they produce from juices they suck from the plant) they feed on centipedegrass, bermudagrass and other grasses, including occasionally corn.  Adults feed on hollies – they feed on the underside of leaves, and damage shows up as pale mottling not usually visible from above.”  In the future, if you want to control their numbers, you should probably cut the grass with the “spittle” before the winged adults have a chance to mature.

Location: Jacksonville, Florida

2 Responses to Two-Lined Spittlebugs swarming in Florida

1. Tim says:

I was bitten by one 6/8/16 in N. Texas. Moderately painful, not quite like a horse fly.

2. Angel says:

Umm…yeah… These little guys are completely harmless to humans. They do NOT bite. Ive been covered by hundreds of these cute things during long days of grass cutting season. About all they do is poop while jumping and you need a 10X zoom lens just to see that.