Subject: Most Intimidating Spider I’ve Ever Seen
Location: NE PA, Walnut Creek, Millcreek, Asbury Woods
I was filming on the banks of Walnut Creek in NE Pennsylvania in the Lake Erie watershed when I saw this on my walking stick. I assumed it was an arachnid of some kind since it has eight legs (two being shorter than the others). It can also make a web. I have spent a year looking myself for information on what it is but cannot find anything. Now I’m branching out to other sources.
I apologize for the quality of the following pictures. They are screen shots of the raw footage I have of it. If I remember correctly, it was maybe two inches big, including leg span.
Signature: Adam S.

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Dear Adam,
This formidable looking spider is a Long Jawed Orvweaver in the genus Tetragnatha, but we are uncertain of the species, so we are contacting Mandy Howe for assistance.  According to BugGuide:  “These spiders spin circular (orb) webs, mostly in the horizontal plane, often just inches above the surface of water where they can intercept emerging insects like midges, mayflies, and stoneflies.”
  BugGuide also notes:  “Larger species near water, especially along the shores of rivers and streams. Smaller species in fields and meadows.”

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Long Jawed Orbweaver

Location: Asbury Woods, Pennsylvania

3 Responses to Long Jawed Orbweaver

1. I’m in love. I hope to see one in real life!

2. Mandy says:

My guess, based on the length of the chelicerae (jaws) and the spacing of the eyes, would be Tetragnatha elongata, but it is a relatively darker specimen than usual. (Here’s a link: http://bugguide.net/node/view/417412.) There are quite a few different species of Tetragnatha though, so it could be a different one. She would have to be examined under a microscope to tell the exact species for certain. Great images! I couldn’t believe they were from video footage!