Subject: Flying insect
Location: Hendersonville, TN
I live in Hendersonville TN and recently painted the front of my home. In the past couple of days I have noticed hundreds of these bugs on the house, or flying around near the gutters. Can you please tell me what they are, and how to get rid of them. Are they termites?
Signature: Greg Sisk

What's That Fly???

What’s That Fly???

Hi Greg,
We are uncertain how to classify this Fly.  We thought it resembled a March Fly, and that would explain the large numbers, but the antennae are wrong for typical March Flies.  Perhaps one of our readers can provide an identification.  We have also requested assistance from Eric Eaton.

Eric Eaton Responds:
Reminds me most of a dark-winged fungus gnat, family Sciaridae, but could be a gall midge, too….

Location: Henderson, Tennessee

2 Responses to Fly from Tennessee likely Dark Winged Fungus Gnat

1. Garry Hunt says:

Seen on saw one in Woodlawn, TN on 8/17/2017 capture a Fly and fly off with it. There are a few around here.

2. Kelsey says:

I stepped on one of these this morning and it either stung or bit my foot. We’re in North Texas. I’m very curious to know what it is.