Subject: Caterpillar mystery answered
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi there
I while ago I asked about a caterpillar that I found. For the life of me I could not find out what it was, but was convinced it would turn into some kind of hawk/sphinx moth.
Luckily a few days later it started to pupate and I figured I would just wait and see what it would turn into. I finally have my answer.
This gorgeous little critter is a silver striped (aka vine) hawk moth – and he is beautiful!
I have been blessed to find 6 different hawk/sphinx moth species in my garden (johannesburg, south africa) and can now add this little guy to my sightings.
So excited 🙂
Signature: Bug lover – Cait Beling

Silver Striped Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Silver Striped Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Cait,
We are terribly sorry if you submitted your identification of the Hornworm to us and we did not respond.  We have a very tiny staff.  Thanks so much for including photos of two stages of the life cycle of the South African Silver Striped Hawkmoth,
Hippotion celerio.  More information on the Silver Striped Hawkmoth can be found on the Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic website.  Also, congratulations on your successful rearing of the adult moth.  Did you get to witness any of the eclosion process?  Do you have a photo of the pupa to include in the posting?

Silver Striped Hawkmoth

Silver Striped Hawkmoth

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

4 Responses to Hornworm metamorphoses into Silver Striped Hawkmoth in South Africa

1. Raja says:

Hey. Mine has been in its cocoon stage for like 2-3 days. I was wondering how long does it usually take for them to hatch from the cocoon? I want to film it hatching.

2. Lucy Leistner says:

I live in Alabama in the USA. My daughter found the hornworm in our backyard. It looks just like your picture. How could it have gotten here?