Subject: what the heck is this?
Location: Dunedin, Florida
This was on the wall outside my apartment door. I thought it was a caterpillar or moth or something that was going to kill me….can you tell me what it is? And if you can, I hope you don’t mind if I post it on facebook so others can know about your site. Thanks!
Signature: Carol Borrelli

Subject: What’s that bug?
Location: Dunedin, Florida
Dear bugman,
Earlier today, we had a caterpillar sitting for hour on the exterior wall next to our apartment’s door. I eventually scooted a piece of paper underneath it and repatriated it to the front of the building, primarily to appease my wife and also to protect it from other tenants smashing it.  Nevertheless, I am curious what it was that we saw there.
Thank you very much for your time and effort,
Roland
Signature: Roland

Southern Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Southern Tussock Moth Caterpillar

Dear Carol and Roland,
We are guessing from your combined requests that you are a married couple.  We think it is sweet that you each contacted us, and in an odd way, it reminds us of the “Starbucks scene” in Best in Show where Parker Posey and Michael Hitchcock meet at Starbucks, but at different Starbucks across the street from one another.  This is a Southern Tussock Moth Caterpillar, 
Dasychira meridionalis, or another member of the genus, and you can compare your caterpillar to this photo from BugGuide.  Some Tussock Moth Caterpillars have irritating hairs, but we are not certain if this is one of those species.

Location: Dunedin, Florida

2 Responses to Southern Tussock Moth Caterpillar

1. lol, that’s my letter!!!

2. lol, that’s my letter!!!