Subject: What is it?
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
I have lived in my house for 5 years and have seen 4 of these. The first 1 was in the garage on the wall up high. The second was at the bottom of my laundry basket that came from the garage. The third was in my hall by the attic up high and the fourth was tonight in my kitchen on the wall up high. People say it is a crab/huntsman spider or a wolf spider. I have 3 kids and was wondering if they are poisonous and if it is one of the spider’s I mentioned.
Thank You.
Signature: J.B

Huntsman Spider

Huntsman Spider

Dear J.B.,
This is a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider in the family Sparassidae, and considering your location, it is most likely in the genus
Olios, though you photo does not have enough detail to be certain.  Giant Crab Spiders in the genus Olios are native and they are not considered dangerous.  You can see additional images on BugGuideOlios giganteus is documented from Yucca Valley on BugGuide.

Location: Yucca Valley, California

One Response to Huntsman Spider from Yucca Valley

1. We frequently get these large hunting spiders in our basement/garage area. I use a large basin to push them into with a piece of paper to take them back outside. Make sure you use a fairly deep container to do this as they will sometimes jump up in an attempt to escape. 😀