Subject: Curious about an unknown bug
Location: Found hidden in the dirt.
Hello, bugman. I was wondering around in the backyard earlier today and I found this very interesting bug. I’m not sure what it really is, but i was really curious to find out. I captured it and now I have it in a open container I made for it. I asked some friends and family if they might know it but no. I tried finding pictures or websites that might help me identify the bug, but no help. Then I ran into whatsthatbug.com! I’m not really sure how to explain what type of bug it is but to me, it looks like a bee or a fly mixed with another insect. I’m not too sure, but i’ll leave it to the experts! I’d love to hear back! Thank you so much!
Signature: Miguel

Velvet Ant

Velvet Ant

Dear Miguel,
Handle this gal with caution.  She is a Velvet Ant, a flightless female wasp reported to have a very painful sting.  We don’t want to try to identify your Velvet Ant to the species level without a location.  If you are in Arizona, this might be
Dasymutilla eminentia which is pictured on BugGuide.

Velvet Ant

Velvet Ant