Subject: What is this?!?
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Please tell me what this bug is. It is bluish green with white wings. I have never seen a bug like this before. I really can’t describe it further and hope that the pictures will be enough to go on.
Thank you for this website and I hope you guys are able to answer my submission.
Signature: Jennifer

Green Banana Cockroach

Green Banana Cockroach

Dear Jennifer,
This sure looks like a Green Banana Cockroach or Cuban Cockroach,
Panchlora nivea, to us.  BugGuide notes:  “along gulf coast from Florida to central Texas; most common in Florida native to Cuba.”  You don’t need to worry about an infestation because BugGuide also states:  “acitve at night and may be attracted to artificial light; does not breed indoors presumably found on bananas in its native Cuba; two early records from Mississippi are considered to be adventive introductions along with shipments of bananas popular as a pet ($25.00 a doz.) here due to its bright green color and because it is not an invasive indoor species.”

Green Banana Cockroach

Green Banana Cockroach

Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana

3 Responses to Green Banana Cockroach

1. Yeah, if I had to have roaches, these would be the ones I’d pick. Pretty!

2. Mike C says:

We had them in Springtime, TX. Since we had an aerobic septic system that would spray the lawn with treated water, they hung out all over the yard by the water. Never found any indoors.

3. Shelia Gill Rogers says:

Found one on Sunday in Shreveport Louisiana