Subject: Finding Saturniidae
Website: ahandbasket.com
This spring and summer I’d like to find and identify and photograph as many of the large Saturniidae silk moths common to CT as I can find.  I have always waited for my insects to find my lighted porch at night and THEN photographed them, but this time I want to be sure to see certain ones.
So, in southern CT, right now (beginning of May), I should be looking for cocoons, emerging adults, caterpillars, what?  And where?  Under trees?  in trees?  I’d like to bring a few caterpillars/cocoons to a butterfly cage on my porch and feed them, watch and photograph them hatching and stretching, and then release them safely to do their thing.  My 5 yr old and I have been closely observing and photographing the insect life around our home for several years now and want to take the next step of watching captive caterpillars emerge.
I’ve looked but am probably not wording it correctly, so could you direct me to a website with pertinent info for my geographic area, and any advice or opinion you may have on the endeavor, keeping mind that I have done a bit of homework and know for certain that these creatures are plentiful and un-threatened, AND I plan to safely release them almost right after they emerge.
Thanks, and love your book!    Helen Epley
Signature: Helen Epley

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear Helen,
Thanks for your kind remark about The Curious World of Bugs.  The best websites for information on North American Moths include BugGuide and The Butterflies and Moths of North America.  You might also want to check with your local natural history museum to see if they have any programs.  With National Moth Week gaining in popularity, you can also check if you have a local group that you can get involved with.  We expect that now is the best time to find cocoons and adults.  Caterpillars should appear later in the season.  We applaud your involvement with natural history and education of your five year old.  Good Luck.

Daniel, thank you so much!  I’m going to look into all this info and check back in as you suggested, and if I have any super pix, I’ll share them.  Thanks again for sharing your time and expertise.

Location: Connecticut

2 Responses to Locating Giant Silkmoths in Connecticut

1. one of these flew into my room

2. Bill Oehlke says:

I sell Saturniidae eggs and cococons. Local Saturniidae in Connecticut should begin appearing ni May. Sedn me an email if you would like specific information concering Saturniidae, Sphingidae and Catocala species native to Connecticut.
    Bill Oehlke