Subject: Caterpillar
Location: Motshane,Swaziland
We have these caterpillars in our garden on a number of bushes. The are numerous and devour every leaf before moving to the next plant. I live at Motshane in Swaziland and this is where the caterpillars are. I would like to know what moth or butterfly they come from.
Thank you for a wonderful site.
Signature: Jacqui

Saturniid Caterpillar

Saturniid Caterpillar

Hi Jacqui,
Alas, the best we can do right now is to provide a family for you.  This is a Giant Silkmoth Caterpillar in the family Saturniidae.  We will try to research the species later, but for now, we cannot take the time as we must leave for work.  We will also contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can provide the species for you.  The adult moths of members of the family Saturniidae are often quite large and beautiful.  It does look quite similar to this
Imbrasia species we posted recently from Rwanda.

Saturniid Caterpillar

Saturniid Caterpillar

Bill Oehlke provides an identification
It is Gonimbrasia (Nudaurelia) wahlbergii
Please send more precise location and date if you can so I can document it
on the website.
Bill

Where can I find information relating to the caterpillar. I am interested in the breeding cycle and would like to follow the caterpillar through the various stages.
Jacqui

Hi again Jacqui,
You already know what leaves the caterpillars feed upon.  You just need to provide them with a habitat for raising in captivity.  We do not raise caterpillars, but since you are now in contact with Bill Oehlke, he should be able to provide you with all the information you need.

Location: Motshane, Swaziland