Subject: Daniel – What’s This Thing!
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Hope all is well with you. I’ve not had any unusual sightings recently, so have been away from WTB. Today I spied something in a cactus grouping and cannot figure out what it is. I’m hoping that the photo is clear enough for you to tell what it is and maybe share with me?
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Nymphalid Chrysalid

Nymphalid Chrysalid

Hi Anna,
How nice to hear from you.  We always love your submissions.  We believe this is the Chrysalis or Pupa of a Butterfly in the family Nymphalidae, the Brush Footed Butterflies.  It reminds us a bit of the chrysalis of a Variegated Fritillary or a Buckeye.

Thanks very much.  I think it is a Gulf Fritillary chrysalis.  These butterflies are regular visitors to our little patch.  I’m guessing it chose the cactus for protection, but hope the butterfly makes it out unscathed!
Anna

Hi Anna,
We were going to look up the Gulf Fritillary Chrysalis to see if it matched, but we didn’t have time.  Thanks for the update.

Location: Hawthorne, California