Subject: Found a moth, found your site, now to find out what it is!
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Hi there!
I found this fella today in the 5th floor stairwell of a parking deck in downtown Richmond, VA. I thought he was fairly big (until seeing some of the very large bugs on this site!); maybe about 3” wide, average-sized lady-hand included for scale. He seemed like he might have had an injured leg, and a little difficulty crawling. I figured he probably would rather be outside than in an under-construction parking deck, so relocated him to a tree (hopefully he hasn’t gotten eaten by a bird.. but he seemed to have pretty decent camouflage.)
Any idea what sort of moth this is? Thanks!
Signature: kira

Elm Sphinx

Waved Sphinx

Dear Kira,
This is one of the Sphinx Moths or Hawkmoths in the family Sphingidae, and we believe it is an Elm Sphinx or Four Horned Sphinx,
Agrius amyntor, based on photos posted to the Sphingidae of the Americas website.

Elm Sphinx

Waved Sphinx

Update:  January 27, 2018
We just received a comment from Stephen Kloiber that this is a Waved Sphinx, not an Elm Sphinx.  The Waved Sphinx is profiled on Sphingidae of the Americas.

Location: Richmond, Virginia

3 Responses to Waved Sphinx, not Elm Sphinx

1. kira says:

Thanks!! 🙂

2. Stephen Kloiber says:

This is Ceratomia undulosa