Subject: flying insect
Location: New Jersey, interior
April 19, 2013 9:24 am
Hi there! This one was on an upstairs window screen this morning, and its size is what struck me: it’s close to 2 inches in length.
I’d like to remove the screen to free it to the outside but need to know if it stings (I’m allergic and must be careful of such things…).
Thanks for your help!
Signature: Mila

European Hornet Queen

European Hornet Queen

Dear Mila,
This is a European Hornet,
Vespa crabro, a species introduced to North America in the 1800s.  We suspect this is a queen that recently emerged from hibernation and that she will look for a suitable place to begin building a new nest to start a new colony.  See BugGuide for additional information.

Location: New Jersey

7 Responses to Queen European Hornet

1. Lys Forte says:

Evil creatures in France. HUGE! Then the Asian hornet made it to France and they were even bigger and more ornery.

2. Lisa says:

Yes they sting. I am allergic too. Best to let someone not allergic remove it.

3. Lys Forte says:

I am allergic too Mila – let someone else remove it that is not allergic.

4. Ann-Marie Cuffe says:

I was photographing bees yesterday when I came across these. I believe them to be European hornets, Are they dangerous to the British Bees?