Subject: Naiad to dragonfly transformation 1
Location: Otter Falls Manitoba
April 20, 2013 12:00 am
We were at a family outing to the beach last summer and we were so excited to see some dragonfly naiads emerge from the water. We gently urged one onto a towel to get a closer look and to take some pictures. We took it around to show the kids and explain that it will soon be a wonderful dragonfly, as we were showing them the Naiad started to wiggle like crazy. We were really surprised as the head just popped out and shortly there after the rest of his magnificent little body emerged. He/she climbed off his empty exoskeleton walked a few steps and began to uncurl her wings. It took a short while to stretch them to full size and dry them in the sun. It was one of the most memorable days at the beach I’ve had in a long time. I took many pictures and hope you enjoy them. I had to cut back on the amount of pictures but I hope you don’t mind me sending 2 emails.
Signature: admirer

Dragonfly Naiad

Dragonfly Naiad

Dear admirer,
Thank you for the wonderful photos and observations on Dragonfly metamorphosis.  We don’t normally post so many photos in a single submission, but we are making an exception in this situation.  Formatting the images takes some time, so we are beginning with a single image of the naiad, and later in the day we will post the remaining photos.  Thanks again for submitting this.

Dragonfly imago begins to emerge.

Dragonfly imago begins to emerge.

Recently metamorphosed Dragonfly

Recently metamorphosed Dragonfly

Recently Metamorphosed Dragonfly

Recently Metamorphosed Dragonfly

Dragonfly: Imago and Exuvia

Dragonfly: Imago and Exuvia

Recently Metamorphosed Dragonfly

Recently Metamorphosed Dragonfly

Location: Otter Falls, Manitoba, Canada