Subject: Spider Wasp
Location: White River, South Africa
April 19, 2013 6:58 am
Hi Bugman
Thanks for your reply. As it happens I did take some photographs. My wife has most of the shots and it going to try and upgrade the quality of the photos, but I have attached three in their original state for your perusal.
Signature: Steve

Spider Wasp with Huntsman Spider

Spider Wasp with Huntsman Spider

Dear Steve,
Thank you so much for writing back and providing photos to the comment you posted on the Spider Wasp from South Africa posting.  Many Spider Wasps have a
metallic sheen and we are curious if your personal observations included the purplish color of the posting you commented upon.  We get most of our Spider Wasp and Huntsman Spider submissions from Australia.  We are running a bit late this morning, but we will try to identify this species of Spider Wasp in the near future.  Your photos are wonderful.  We believe that the Spider Wasp might be dragging the Spider up the wall in an effort to glide as far as possible.  The wasp could never get off the ground with such a heavy payload, but by taking off from a higher elevation, she can still make use of flight to return to her burrow.

Spider Wasp with Rain Spider

Spider Wasp with Rain Spider

Thank you for reminding us that Huntsman Spiders are known as Rain Spiders in some parts of their range.  Your previous comment mentioned the pain of the sting.  Do you know this firsthand.  North American Tarantula Hawks, another large group of Spider Wasps, are also reported to have among the most painful stings of any insect.

Spider Wasp with Rain Spider

Spider Wasp with Rain Spider

Location: White River, South Africa

2 Responses to Spider Wasp with Rain (Huntsman) Spider prey from South Africa

1. Julie says:

I was looking at the pictures of the spider wasp and I believe it said they live in Africa but my family and I seen that identical wasp with a spider the same size and color as the one in the photo, in our woods. We live in Amelia, Ohio (USA). I wanted to comment to see if it we are mistaken by what kind of wasp we seen but I’m 100% positive we seen right. At first site it looked as if the spider had the wasp but when we ran off the wasp the spider wouldn’t move and seconds later the wasp was back, it found the spider, and off it went. Is it possible it was a wasp spider in Ohio???