Subject: What is this bug!?
Location: Dallas Texas or Wichita Kansas
April 10, 2013 11:57 am
I live in Dallas Texas. I recently traveled to Kansas. When I got back home, the next day I put on a sweater that i took to Kansas. This later crawled down my arm. I’m not sure if it was from Kansas or Texas. Help!?
Signature: Not a bug guy

Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle Larva

Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle Larva

immature lady beetle or ladybug

Ed. Note:  April 13, 2013
We have a small staff and we haven’t the time to post or even answer all the mail we receive on busy days.  Sometimes we just provide a quick response that is not posted.  Sometimes folks like “Not a bug guy” challenge our response, prompting us to take additional action.

Are you sure? It does not look like one at all.

Dear Not a bug guy,
By your own admission, you are “Not a bug guy” and we have been responding to questions about insects on the internet since 1999.  We have always been honest with our readership and we have frequently admitted that we are artists who do not have a background in science, nor more specifically in entomology, but we have learned a thing or two over the years.  We also understand that there is an ever increasing proliferation of sketchy and otherwise unreliable information on the internet and we also know that we are wrong from time to time, but we do make corrections to our postings when errors are brought to our attention in an effort to be as accurate as possible.  With that said, we provided you with a brief response because we do not have the time to answer every query we receive with a lengthy post complete with other internet citations.  Since you seem to be a Doubting Thomas as well as being “Not a bug guy” and since you preferred to request additional feedback from us rather than checking up on the information we provided, we are happy to offer you some clarification to our original response.  Yes, we are sure.  We realize that this Lady Beetle Larva does not resemble the adult, but nor does the Luna Moth Caterpillar resemble the ethereal Luna Moth.  Insects undergo metamorphosis, meaning that they often change forms as they grow and mature.  If you are still doubting that you submitted a photo of a Lady Beetle Larva, here is a photo from BugGuide of a Multicolored Asian Lady Beetle Larva.

Location: Dallas, Texas