Subject: Whats this bug?
Location: San Diego, CA
I work as a child care provider and at the play ground a couple of girls ran up to me saying they found a new bug when I went to investigate it indeed was a ”new” bug. It is brown has four legs and very long antena like things. It doesn’t have wings, more like a mix between a spider and an alien.
Signature: Bryanna

Head of a Longhorn Borer Beetle

Head of a Longhorn Borer Beetle

Dear Bryanna,
This is the head of a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae.  We sometimes get images like this and we suspect some predator, perhaps a bird, has eaten the nutritious body of the beetle and left the head and parts of the thorax behind.  We are not certain but we suspect that if the head of a Bycid is eaten, it will continue to chew and those jaws that are able to chew through wood can easily chew through the gut of a bird.  The bird need only eat the head of a Bycid once to learn this lesson.

Thus Begins the Speculation of the Meaning of Life as we know it.

Location: San Diego, California