Subject: Termite or predator?
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Removing a flowering cherry tree that was rotting out from the inside. Seems to be a thriving termite colony inside. But in addition to the workers, larve, and soldiers, I saw some winged insects associated with colony, but they don’t seem to match any photos of winged termites. I was wondering if you could identify the mystery bug. Are they termites, or are they munching on termites?
Signature: Tom

Cranefly

Cranefly

Dear Tom,
This is a Cranefly and we don’t believe it has any connection to the termites.  We found a matching photo on BugGuide that was found in a rotten stump.  Eric Eaton provided a comment stating:  “There is at least one common wood-boring species in the Pacific Northwest. I ran across a log full of the larvae and pupae once, before I knew what they were! Pretty bizarre.”

Thanks for the answer. I am familiar with the lawn variety crane fly, but these were new.
Tom

Location: Bellevue, Washington