Subject: Longhorn Beetle
Location: (South) San Jose, CA
April 8, 2013 12:45 am
I think this is a longhorn wood borer beetle, but not sure what exact species. I found it on my screen door today, April 7th, around 2pm in the afternoon. I saw two of these side by side last October in the evening on our 20+year old cherry tree.
The cherry tree has sap that ’bleeds’ out sometimes and holes from where woodpeckers peck occasionally. Not sure if that is useful info but it can’t hurt to know.
We also have a few privet trees, fruitless mulberry, and redwoods (our deck is also redwood)
Please note: when I handled it I did so as gently as possible so as not to harm it. I still have the beetle as I wanted to have it identified before releasing. I can submit more pics if necessary.
Signature: Jen

Synaphaeta guexi

Synaphaeta guexi

Hi Jen,
We have identified you beetle as
Synaphaeta guexi thanks to BugGuide, however there is no information on the beetle on BugGuide’s information page.  Back in 2005, Eric Eaton provided us with the common name Spotted Tree Borer for this species and indicated is bores into maple trees.  Your French Tips nicely show off this Flatfaced Borer Beetle.

Synaphaeta guexi

Synaphaeta guexi

Location: San Jose, California