Subject: Re: Metallic blue micro-moth?
Location: Yamingshan National Park, Taiwan
Hello Bugman!
I just returned from a quick trip to Taiwan. I’ve never seen it rain so much, but we managed to get some bugging in between storms. This is a picture of one of the odd ones I can’t seem to find in my books or online. We found this moth (?), which was half an inch long, around mid-day on April 4th on a jungled trail in Yamingshan National Park north of Taipei. The weather alternated between clouds and rain. I was thinking it might be a small geometer moth but I didn’t get a top view before the little guy flittered away into the mists. I appreciate any help you can provide, Bugman.
Thank you so much!
Signature: Marian Lyman Kirst

Unknown Blue Moth from Thailand

Unknown Blue Moth from Taiwan

Dear Marian,
This is sure a pretty little moth, but our initial attempts to identify it have turned up blank.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck.

Karl Provides an Identification:
Hi Daniel and Marian:
It looks very similar to the Forrester Moth or Leaf Skeletonizer Moth (Zygaenidae: Procridinae), Clelea sapphirina, from Vietnam posted by Tricia a few months back. It is probably C. formosana, which, as far as I can tell, is the only member of the genus in Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa). Here is a link to a photo of the same species also taken in Yamingshan National Park. Regards.  Karl

Location: Yamingshan National Park, Thaiwan

4 Responses to Forester Moth from Taiwan

1. David says:

I have a photo of a similar moth (different color) on my flickr page that I identified as a Zygaenid Moth. The antenna are identical. This might help direct your search. The photo was taken in Singapore.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/61587929@N06/8515749252/

Thanks David,
      We appreciate this and all your other comments. It might take us some time to provide links to all your identifications.

2. aussietrev says:

Looks like a Forester, similar to some Aussie ones with the metallic body but haven’t seen any here with the wing markings like that though.