Subject: Scarred the sh*t out of me!
Location: Killeen Texas
April 6, 2013 2:41 am
So it’s about 4:00 am, and I felt a tingling ticklish feeling on my left ear, so I put my hand there and it’s stops. I start falling back asleep and then I feel it running around my finger, i thought it was a spider, so I attempt to fling it off, one last time I try going back to sleep, and then I feel the same ticklish feeling on my left ear again, so I got up a basically rip off my ear, after a few minutes of looking for it I found it. I just want to know if my house is infested, this is the first time this had happened to me.
Signature: Abel

Rustic Borer

Rustic Borer

Hi Abel,
This is one of the Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae.  It looks close to the Rustic Borer,
Xylotrechus colonus, that is posted on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:”Larvae feed under the bark (occasionally in the bark) of hickory and other hardwoods, also pine” and  “Often attracted to UV lights.”  Many Cerambycids are found in homes because they were inadvertently brought in with the firewood by the owner or tenant while the beetles were in the dormant stage.  The heat of the home causes them to emerge.  They will not infest your home. 

Location: Killeen, Texas