Subject: What kind of a moth is this?
Location: Palmdale, CA
These are on my lilacs, and I can’t find any on-line that look like them.
Signature: 6614920451

Whitelined Sphinx

Whitelined Sphinx

Dear 6614920451,
We are envious of your lilacs.  We planted two varieties that were allegedly bred for Southern California, but despite a cool north facing garden, they have not bloomed in the two years we have had them.  Your diurnal moth is a Whitelined Sphinx,
Hyles lineata, and one just buzzed us in the back garden and to others are at the front door where they were attracted to the porch light, a phenomenon that happens each spring.  The butterfly is one of the Ladies, either a Painted Lady or a West Coast Lady.

Painted Lady

Painted Lady

Thanks so much. I thought the one looked like a painted lady, except that the body looked big like a moth.  Is that common?

The body of the Painted Lady is obscured by the blossoms of the lilac and we cannot see it to compare it to typical Painted Lady bodies.

Location: Palmdale, California

2 Responses to Whitelined Sphinx and Painted Lady

1. Susan says:

Don’t give up on you lilacs yet. In Culver City it took 3 or 4 years for my Lavender Lady to bloom. Then one year we got a lot of rain and BAM! It popped with tons of blooms. Old adage – “The first year they sleep, the second year they creep, and the third year they leap” Give yours a little more time.
    Good luck
    P.S. Love your site!!!

Thanks Susan,
      Lavender Lady is one of our shrubs. We believe the other is Blue Boy. Both are allegedly Southern California varieties.