Subject: Cicada from Guyana
Location: Guyana , Iwokrama
March 31, 2013 4:31 am
I’d be very happy if you could identify this cicada for me. Found it in Guyana at Iwokrama River Lodge.
Signature: Karin

Hemipteran

Froghopper

Hi Karin,
We were out of the office when your identification request arrived and we are currently trying to catch up on all our unanswered mail.  It seems in our absence, we missed Maria Sibylla Merian’s 366th birthday that was noted on Google Doodle and picked up by all the major news outlets including the LA Times, Huffington Post and National GeographicWe did our own lecture on Maria Sibylla Merian at the Getty in 2008.  Since Guyana is next to Suriname, we thought it was appropriate to mention that here.  We don’t believe this is a true Cicada, but rather one of the other closely related Hemipteran families that are classified with Cicadas as free living Hemipterans.  Perhaps we can get a more definite identification at a later date.

Hemipteran

Froghopper

Karl Provides and ID
Hi Daniel and Karin:
Your bug is a Spittle Bug or Froghopper (Auchenorrhyncha: Cercopidae). I am fairly certain that the correct ID would Schistogonia simulans (perhaps = S. cercopoides). I could not find any easily accessible images or information online, but I was able to find it by browsing through an online (downloadable) version of the book “Cercopid Spittle Bugs of the New World (Hemiptera, Auchenorrhyncha, Cercopidae)” by Gervásio Silva Carvalho and Michael D. Webb (2005). Several other South American cercopids look similar; for comparison you could check out Laccogrypota praetor. Regards.  Karl

Location: Guyana

2 Responses to Froghopper from Guyana