Subject: Cibolo Nature Center, Texas
Location: Wooded area of Hill country, TX
March 31, 2013 6:52 am
I recently visited the Cibolo Nature Center in the Hill Country of Texas. Am without reference materials at this time.
Signature: kaholly

Thank you for being out there for us all.  I was able to do a little checking on my own and discovered
the i.d. of this moth, an Alypia octomaculata.  I appreciate that I was able to access your knowledge
base and hope this e-mail negates the previous request and saves someone’s precious time.
Sincerely,
karen roy

Eight Spotted Forester

Eight Spotted Forester

Hi Karen,
We have been away from the office and we are behind in our identification requests.  We are happy to learn you were able to identify this lovely diurnal moth Owlet Moth as
Alypia octomaculata, commonly called an Eight Spotted Forester.  We are now trying to post the timeliest requests with the nicest images for our readers to enjoy and your request is most definitely in that category.  More on the Eight Spotted Forester can be found on the Butterflies and Moths of North America.  The orange butterfly you wanted identified is a Gulf Fritillary.

Eight Spotted Forester

Eight Spotted Forester

Good Morning!!
Thank you so much for getting back to me.  You are so kind to indicate my
photo of the Owlet Moth is reader worthy.
I THOUGHT it was a Gulf Fritillary, but with such an awkward photo showing it from underneath,
and from so far away, I wasn’t quite sure.  It’s a first for me, so I’m pretty excited.
Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!
Regards,
karen

Location: Hill Country, Texas