Subject: fishing spider
Location: costa rica
March 27, 2013 12:30 am
I found on your amazing website it’s Dolomedes.
Do you have a latin name for it?
fred
Signature: fred from belgium

Fishing Spider

Fishing Spider

Hi Fred,
This does appear to be one of the Nursery Web Spiders, but we cannot say for certain if it is a Fishing Spider in the genus
Dolomedes.  We are postdating this submission to post live to our site in the coming week as we will be away from the office a few days for the holidays.

Hi Daniel!
I hope you had a good holiday… a time ago…
Do you remember my question about a (probably) fishing spider?
I’ll put is again on the website, ok?
thanks a lot
bye
fred

Hi Fred,
We did have a nice holiday and we were never able to determine a more accurate identification for your spider.  It does remind us more of
Trechalea gertschi than the Dolomedes species we are used to posting.  We will contact Mandy Howe to see if she can provide an identificaton.

Location: Costa Rica

2 Responses to Fishing Spider from Costa Rica

1. Mandy says:

Hi Daniel! I agree with the genus Trechalea (of family Trechaleidae) for sure. There are a few species that are known from Costa Rica and even more from the rest of Central and South America as a whole. It looks extremely similar to our North American T. gertschi, but I don’t think that species extends down into Costa Rica. Best I can say with any certainty is just the genus (Trechalea). Nice shot, Fred!