Subject: Interesting Orange and Black Beetle Found in Ecuaodor and Arizona?
Location: San Clemente Ecuador and also one in Yuma Arizona
I recently sent in a picture of an interesting beetle. In my excitement and haste I didn’t get permission from the photographer. After re-reading the submission page I did send an email to the photographer and got their permission to use the photo to try to identify this odd beetle. I will include the information they have provided about the beetle, and send the information on to them as well because they are very curious about the insect.
My original submission: About 14 years ago I came across this odd beetle. It was Summer time in Yuma Arizona, and we were eating watermelon when this bug flew onto my plate. It was about an inch and a half long. Being 10 it freaked me out and I never did get a picture of it. I never forgot about it though. I tried very hard to identify the bug but never did find out what it was. Today I Googled ”Black and Orange Antennae” and finally found a picture of the bug I saw. So maybe now I can finally put a name to this bug with your help! 🙂
More information on the insect provided by John and Mary from their blog: The bug was found in San Clemente Ecuador. Counting the antennae the beetle was about one and one half inches long. When it was flying around it looked like a large wasp. I tried to get a close up of the head to see the eyes, but it is unclear where the eyes are. There also appears to be some hair-like growth on the face!
Any ideas? Thanks so much for your time and effort.
Signature: Nichole

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Hi Nichole,
We really doubt that the beetle you saw in Arizona is the same species as the beetle in the photo from Ecuador, but they might be in the same family.  First, thanks for getting permission from John to reproduce his photo.  John’s beetle is a Longhorned Borer Beetle or Longicorn in the family Cerambycidae, and we might be able to identify it to the species level.  There is a better database online for North American species, and while it is impossible to state with any certainty that we can identify the beetle you saw 14 years ago without photo documentation.  A similar looking beetle that is found in Arizona is
Aethecerinus latecinctus which we found on BugGuide.  We will write back if and when we identify the Ecuadorean Longicorn.

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Longhorned Borer Beetle

Karl provides an identification
Hi Daniel and Nichole:
My initial thought was that the Ecuadorian Cerambycid was probably in the genus Trachyderes, many of which look quite similar. Several Trachyderes species are native to Ecuador but none of them are quite right, particularly with regard to the color patterns of the antennae. I believe John’s is probably Andrachides transandinus (Cerambycinae: Trachyderini). The genus appears to have only the one species and it is endemic to Ecuador and Peru. Its similarity to Trachyderes is evident in that its original name was Trachyderes transandinus. As for the beetle from Arizona, I suggest checking out the closely related and similar T. mandibularis which is well represented on bugguide.net.  Regards.  Karl

Location: San Clemente, Ecuador

2 Responses to Longhorned Borer from Ecuador resembles relative from Arizona

1. I’m glad I can put a name to this beetle finally. Thanks so much! 🙂

2. pablo bolanos says:

hi, we have seen female andrachydes on fig trees attacked by a borer worm, we live in san jose costa rica