Subject: It’s not all in my head!
Location: Scalp
March 27, 2013 6:05 am
These insects came from my scalp. Two years ago I started with a small area on my scalp that felt like a bite. The area is now the crown of my head, made worse by using a duo derm patch, not knowing I had a sensitivity to adhesive. My hair grew under the scalp, and that is where these bugs came from.
Signature: Elaine

Possible Louse

Thrips perhaps

Dear Elaine,
We sympathize with your situation.  We hope you sought professional medical assistance and we would urge you to seek out a definitive identification from your local entomology department.  While this creature looks vaguely louselike, it doesn’t seem to match images of Parasitic Lice on BugGuide.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide something more conclusive.

Update:  March 27, 2013
Tenodera, one of our readers, submitted a comment indicating this resembles a Thrips, and we agree.  See BugGuide for a description of Thrips.  The mystery is why are Thrips livng on Elaine’s scalp.

23 Responses to Louse, Thrips or other Head Bug???

1. Tenodera says:

I believe this is a thrips. Not sure what it’s doing in Elaine’s hair.

2. RHONA says:

Omg, this is the same exact insect I found in my hair, I was also told it’s all in my head and I have delusional parasintosis. I had been complaining for 6 months something is living in my hair I been to several doc who just said no lice, I was complaining to Docs my hair was moving and wah-lah this little speck came on my comb, I had been seeing specks but never took the time to look at them. I took the speck went to my daughters room put it under her microscope when it focused I almost fainted. I took it to my doc which said it was a louse. But the more I looked at it I can see it is not bcuz I see wings, then a second was on my neck I looked at it under the scope and
    there it was, now Elaine or anyone out there, How in God’s name do I get rid of hair thrips. I have been going through HELL..

3. Nora says:

Has anybody found a solution to thrips in hair?

4. Judy Falconer says:

My best solution has been mousse as it seems to remove eggs as well as other stages. Say ain’t daily is helpful too . Maui make a coconut hair oil that can be sprayed in the It is very helpful. Leave in 100% of the time. Vegetable oil is helpful too. Pray tell, did these seem to go dormant in the winter and return in the spring? Hi

5. Cesar Crash says:

I recieved two reports od thrips living in human hair. Searching for similar cases, I ended up here.

6. Judy says:

I have a few ideas for you that will help. One is that these need air – drown them. Lie back in the bathtub with your hair under the water and count to 100. Within 6 hours they will have fallen out. I think they get into the pores, maybe lay their eggs in them so they return. There are shampoos that help, one is millcreek botanicals tea tree oil. The conditioner is very good as well. Start out putting whichever on dry hair. I often just use the conditioner in the morning and leave it on for 3 – 4 minutes. Putting it on dry makes a huge difference. Get a hair brush with the old style bristles, goodie make one that Walmart carry. As you brush you loosen what is on the hair . Good luck

7. Allie says:

I also had these in my scalp. Neem oil is the only thing that seems to work

8. Allie says:

Neem oil helped me I dealt with same thing

9. Judy says:

Take Apple cider vinegar with the mother. Vitality Health carry the best brand in a brown jug. It seems to get rid of the ones under the skin. It takes a long time, maybe 3 months to get rid of them.

• Alexandrea says:

Thank you sometimes I think I’m crazy this really affected my life I have been using neem oil in my shampoo that seems to help

10. Judy says:

Try apple cider vinegar with the mother from a health food store. a tsp 3 times a day well diluted in water or a juice or smoothies. On hot water with honey and caysnne pepper and lemon is a great way. Millcreek botanicals rea tree oil shampoois good. soak your hair daily in creme rinse, put on dry. sauna. you are not crazy.

11. Sharon Cortrs says:

Has anybody got any other symptoms with these things other than their scalp? Such as white little egg looking granules coming out of the skin?

12. Allie says:

Sad to report about 5 months after thinking i got rid of them I am finding them again. Any other suggestions would be great

13. Molly Dav says:

I reallllly need help. I started getting bitten by bugs. Then I realized that I had eggs in my hair and then checked my kids. They had eggs too. I spent HOURS online looking up what it could be. My son had a bright green bug jump out of his hair and I didn’t think it coo related. I have been collected like 5 different stages of this bug. Some are just small black specks, then there are long skinny white ones that come out of your skin, eggs that come out of your skin, then larger bugs. I FINALLY realized they are this thrip bug.
    This is embarrassing but they have even got my private parts. My husband doesn’t believe me and thinks I’m nuts but the kids were in the pool/hot tub for hours and then clusters of eggs and the long white body things started coming out of their skin the next day- which was yesterday. I want to put me and my young kids in a plastic bubble and run away. I’m afraid to sit on my couch, sleep, etc.
    PLEASE HELP- M.E.D.

14. Judy says:

I have experienced all of this and I have almost goyyen rid of them. First to get rid of most coat ypur hair and scalp with oil. I used crisco. Have a bath in epsom salts. Get Apple cider vinegar capsules, Organika are best and take a few times daily, even up to 6 per day. Very helpful. Also get as much garlic into your system as possible. You can roast it in foil in the oven for 45 mins. youtube will show you to drizzle oil on it but I found the oil upset my stomach. thee is a secret detox drink online, avc, honey or maplexsyrup, ginger etc. Add garlic to it and GET GARLIC Shampoo In Canada there is a Vatika brand for under &6.00. Very helpful. every day should get better but it takes weeks. good luck.

15. judy says:

And chlorophyll. Bernard Jensen if you can get ahold of it. esp effective on thrips.

16. Judy says:

Contact me if you like. judyf697@gmail.com

17. Alexandrea says:

NEEM OIL!

18. Judy Falconer says:

Shampoos with Biotin. Preferably Millcreek Botanicals. Good luck, let me know how it goes.