Subject: Water larvae
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My son and I found this bug in a vernal pool. I cannot figure out what it is, but I hope never to meet one in a dark alley at night. I have two pictures, one of the whole bug and one through a microscope that shows its formidable mandibles. We would be most grateful to know more about it.
Many thanks,
Laura
Signature: Laura B

Diving Beetle Larva

Diving Beetle Larva

Hi Laura,
This is the larva of an Aquatic Beetle, and we believe it is the larva of a Predaceous Diving Beetle in the family Dytiscidae.  Here is a photo from BugGuide that looks very similar.  We are sorry but we do not have the necessary skills to identify this to the species level.  We remember these larvae being called Water Tigers in an old aquarium book by Innes.

Head of a Water Tiger

Head of a Water Tiger

Thank you!  You are clearly the Patron Saint of creepy-crawlies and those who appreciate them!
With deepest admiration,
Laura

Location: Beaverton, Oregon

One Response to Water Tiger

1. Beware of these, if you keep fish tanks. One or two hitchhiked into one of my tanks, hidden within some native pond plants (that I had purchased in a fish store) – and killed most of the fish within hours (until I figured out what was happening, hunted them down and got rid of them).