Subject: What is this?
Location: Scripps Ranch, San Diego, California
A few months ago I found this bug against the glass doors in my house. I have been wondering for so long what it was and I’m finally trying to find out. It moved pretty slowly and didn’t seem to fly because it walked all the way across our patio. I asked my parents and no one knows. Please help! I used to live in Point Loma, San Diego, California and never saw it but as soon as I moved north to Scripps Ranch, San Diego, California I saw it.
Signature: From Lindsey

Tarantula Hawk

Tarantula Hawk

Hi Lindsey,
This magnificent Spider Wasp is a Tarantula Hawk.  The female is reported to have an extremely painful sting.

Location: San Diego, California

2 Responses to Tarantula Hawk

1. Nebula Nut says:

I love these! I see them all the time in the desert on trail rides or hikes. I try to follow them to in the hopes of seeing them sting a tarantula, but no luck yet!

2. Curt Story says:

I’ve been lucky to see one of these in action! It dragged a paralyzed tarantula across the trail into its burrow.