Subject: Small Black Beetle with Metallic Yellow Spots
Location: Christmas, FL Orange County
Dear Bugman-
This one has me confused. I thought I’d be easily able to look this beautiful species up on the computer when I got home so I took a photo and went on with my day. Turns out I was wrong. I can’t find anything that looks like this beetle. I’m honestly not even sure what family it would belong to. I found it on a picnic table under some willow trees in Christmas, FL around mid- February. Compared to the grains of sand and the veins in the leaf, you can get an idea of how small it is. What do you think? Any information you might have would be helpful. Thanks!
Signature: Becki

Jewel Beetle

Jewel Beetle is Chrysobothris chrysoela

Dear Becki,
As is often the case when we are posting photos, the morning is passing and we have a train to catch.  The best we can do at the moment is to tell you this is a Metallic Borer Beetle or Jewel Beetle in the family Buprestidae.  You can try searching for the species on BugGuide if you cannot wait for us to do more research.

I saw the response on what’s that bug, but I didn’t know how to write back to thank you. Just by looking at some photos I think its in the genus Acmaeodera. There are so many species in this genus I’m content to call it Acmaeodera sp. I had no idea that a buprestid beetle could look like that. Thank you so much for your help!

Hi again Becki,
While your individual looks similar to the members of the genus
Acmaeodera pictured on BugGuide, we are not fully convinced as the spots look different.  We may give this more attention this weekend.

Update:  March 18, 2013
Thanks to Andre who provided an identification, using our comment option, of
Chrysobothris chrysoela, and we are able to confirm that thanks to BugGuide.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Thanks again 🙂

Location: Christmas, Florida

2 Responses to Metallic Borer Beetle is Chrysobothris chrysoela

1. Andre says:

I am currently in Florida, and yesterday I found this exact same guy. Using BugGuide I found out it was this guy: Chrysobothris chrysoela.
    You can tell by the colorful indented spots and the jointed spots (or some cases separated spots) at the end of the elytra.
    Cheers!

Andre