Subject: What’s the bug?
Location: Richmond TX
Hi I live in Richmond TX and I want to know what’s the bug? Good guy, bad guy.. trying to plant organic, so I need your help.
Simone
Signature: Simone

Spot Sided Coreid Bug

Spot Sided Coreid Bug

Dear Simone,
We thought this looked like a Leaf Footed Bug or Big Legged Bug in the family Coreidae, but it is not a species we recognized.  We quickly identified it on BugGuide as the Spot Sided Coreid Bug,
Hypselonotus punctiventris.  It represents a new species on our site, and that always excites us greatly.  According to Bugguide, it is:  “common in gardens” and this is clarified with “Nearly year round in Texas.”  Finally, BugGuide notes:  “Feeds on Mallows and a wide variety of other flower families.”  Though it is a plant feeding species, there is nothing to indicate that it is a pest species.  Our advice is that it it is not plentiful, and it is not feeding on something you value greatly and use as food, we would allow it to coexist in your organic garden.  This is a True Bug and they feed with their piercing mouthparts that are designed to draw fluids.  Many mallows are considered weeds, and it is entirely possible it is feeding on the weed mallows, in which case it is most likely not harming your cultivated plants.  Thank you again for providing us with a new species.

Thank you so much for your answer! I couldn’t find anything similar at google lol.
I’ll send you other pictures with I find something unusual.
Thanks again
Simone

Location: Richmond, Texas

One Response to Spot Sided Coreid Bug