Subject: Found a pair of these, metallic blue with orange and black
Location: New Zealand
Hi we found two of these on our deck, it’s summer over here at the moment.
The bug looks like a form of ladybug with black and orange wings, and possibly a set of metallic blue wings over the top?
The antenna has white tips, and the legs look black,
The abdomen is the part that makes me think it’s not a ladybug….
We have never seen one before, and wondering what they are
Thanks heaps
Signature: Gizmo_RA2

Moth, We believe

Female Bagworm Moth

Dear Gizmo_RA2,
We believe this is a moth and that its wings haven’t fully expanded, but we have been unable to find a matching image online.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck than we had.

Chad provides an identification:  Bagworm Moth
Chad provided this link to a Bagworm Moth,
Cebysa leucotelus.  According to the Landcare Research Manaaki Whenua website:  “Caterpillar forms an untidy bag to live in
Found on rock walls and houses. Feeds on minute algae and lichen
Adult female is often mistaken for a beetle. Adult female can fly, but only in short hops
Male is fully winged”

Location: New Zealand

8 Responses to Bagworm Moth from New Zealand

1. Chad Beckwith says:

This had me curious, so I went searching and found out that this is a female Australian Bag Moth. There’s a practically identical picture here: http://tinyurl.com/acmtcc6

2. Lindsay Gregory says:

I just saw one of these Bagworm Moths today 14 March 2014 in Epsom Auckland New Zealand
    It’s the first time I had ever seen one and had to hunt down what it was.
    Thanks for posting the details.
    I have a close-up photo. How do I post it?

3. MissY says:

Hi there, I found one of these today on my kitchen bench. I popped a clear container with holes over it to observe and after an hour it had laid eggs. Do I just put it back into the garden

You did not provide a location, but if this is a native species for you, we would suggest that releasing it in the garden where you found it would be a logical thing to do.

4. Alex says:

Never seen before but the kids were swimming at orewa wharf and the bug must be the female as didn’t fly was creeping all over the seat. Thanks for your posts to work out what it was..

5. Adele says:

Have found 4 of these today in wanganui kept one in a container