Subject: Ethiopian Beetle sp.
Location: Arero area in Southern Ethiopia
This was a quite big beetle maybe 4 cm. Could it be some kind of oil beetle?
The photo was taken november 10, 2006.
Signature: Kristian

Blister Beetle

Blister Beetle:  Lydoceras flavosellata

Hi Kristian,
Thank you for all your submissions, and thank you for keeping each species as a separate submission.  We will try to post as many of your images as possible.  This is some species of Blister Beetle in the family Meloidae, but we haven’t had any luck matching it to any online images at this time.  Oil Beetles are included in the family Meloidae.  Your individual looks somewhat similar to this unidentified African Blister Beetle we found online and the coloration is similar to this Tanzanian Blister Beetle posted to dijitalimaj.
  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck determining an actual species.  For now, the best we can provide is the family.

I think you doing a fantastic job. It is really hard for a guy like me to know where to look on the internet, to get the correct id of these creatures. And I don’t have any books either. I’m a keen birdwatcher, and know how “look-a-like” two species can be. Therefore I have great respect when it comes to id insects. There are a few more insect species than bird species, so I imagining  that there are alot more insects that are “look-a-likes”.
But I think it is really fun to know what species I’ve seen, so therefore I’m grateful for all help I can get from you. Hope there will be some of the bugs that can be id to species-level. And I have some more insects that I have problems with so I will keep them coming.
Great thanks!!
Cheers
Kristian

Update:  October 22, 2013
We received a comment from Standa today that identified this as
Lydoceras flavosellata and provided this link.

Location: Ethiopia

2 Responses to Blister Beetle from Ethiopia: Lydoceras flavosellata

1. Hello, this Meloid from Ethiopie is Lydoceras flavosellata: http://www.meloidae.com/en/pictures/431/
    Regards
    Standa