Subject: Giant yellow robber fly from Australia?
Location: -36.131866,146.926785
March 10, 2013 7:50 am
Hey there, I found a fly today (deceased) and took a few pictures of it. I was curious as to what the hell it was, so I searched and came up with your site featuring some examples of large flies with a yellow abdomen which looked fairly identical to the one I saw. This particular specimen was found on top of Huons Hill, Wodonga, Victoria, Australia. The large Mitsubishi key you see in a couple of the photos is exactly 92.9mm or 3.657” long.
Sorry about the poor photography, I only had an iphone with me, and couldn’t see the screen to ascertain whether or not it was focusing properly on the fly, which it wasn’t.
Feel free to contact me via email – thesixthwheel@gmail.com
Signature: Cheers, Nick.

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

Hi Nick,
We agree that this looks like a Giant Yellow Robber Fly,
 Blepharotes coriarius.  We received a comment on a posting last week and Wolfgang said he would send a photo, so we thought these might be the anticipated images, but we were mistaken unless you also wrote to us under a pen name.  Large Robber Flies are magnificent creatures and your photo of the underside of the body shows the long legs that can be used to snatch prey while in flight.

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

More images of the Giant Yellow Robber Fly can be found on the Brisbane Insect website.

Thanks for the reply. I am not Wolfgang, nor do I have anything to do with a posting from last week. Like I mentioned in my original communication to you, I had only found the fly on the same day (yesterday).
Are they rare to see? I’ve never seen one before.
Thanks for your time.

We are not certain how common Giant Yellow Robber Flies are in Australia.  Predators are generally not as common as prey.  By the way, the photography is just fine.

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

Giant Yellow Robber Fly

Location: Wodonga, Victoria, Australia