Subject: Earth boring Scarab beetle???
Location: Coarsegold, CA
My dad found this bug in his room and it was squeaking to him last night! He lives in the Sierra Foothills of Central California and asked me to help him figure out what kind of beetle it is. I am at a loss and need some help. Do you know what it is?
Signature: Sarah Eagar

Dung Beetle

Dung Beetle

Hi Sarah,
This is one of the Dung Beetle, but we are not sure about its exact classification.  That will take further research and we will do that later this weekend.

Update:  Hi again Sarah,
We looked at the images of Earth Boring Scarab Beetles on BugGuide and they are in the family Geotrupidae.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae feed on dung or carrion. Adults feed on dung or fungi, or do not feed at all” which supports our initial identification.  This also gives us an excuse to link to a wonderful recent article in the LA Times about Dung Beetles navigating by the light of the milky way.  It seems National Geographic broke the story the same day.

Location: Coarsegold, California