Subject: Huge spider that made it through lawnmower
Location: Florida panhandle
March 7, 2013 6:59 am
Dear bug man,
I was mowing the lawn one day and saw the clippings moving from one o the passes that I just made in the yard. After closer inspection, I see this gal crawling out from the area that I just mowed. All legs intact and unscathed. I was just wondering what kind of spider this was. There seems to be quite a few around my house and sometimes in mya garage. This was in the middle of the summer last year when I took this picture.
Signature: Thanks, Casey

Wolf Spider

Wolf Spider

Dear Casey,
We hope our readership will be amused with your anecdote of a Wolf Spider that escaped a potentially gruesome death due to being run over by the lawnmower.

Thanks for the identification. Now what is the best course of action to keep these gals out of my house? They can stay outside and eat all the bugs and I’m fine with that. But I have a 2 yr. old daughter that does not need to have one bite her when she naps.

Hi Casey,
Wolf Spiders are not dangerous nor are they aggressive, and we seriously doubt your daughter will get bitten.  Wolf Spiders would not seek out shelter indoors, so they only way a Wolf Spider will enter your home is accidentally.  We don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Location: Florida