Subject: scorpion roach?
Location: durban south africa
Hello
I was on my way home last night when I saw this peculiar bug. It’s roughly 10cm long and moves with those large mandibles at the front. I am in durban in south africa. I’ve never seen anything like it.
James
Signature: james

Giant Water Bug

Giant Water Bug

Hi James,
This is a Giant Water Bug in the family Belostomatidae, and in North America they are commonly called either Electric Light Bugs because they are attracted to lights at night, or Toe-Biters because they can deliver a nasty bite to unwary swimmers in lakes and ponds.  Giant Water Bugs are aquatic predators that are capable of flight, a valuable skill when ponds dry out.

Location: Durban, South Africa

7 Responses to Giant Water Bug from South Africa

1. kimberly says:

Saw one of these dead on the sidewalk near Loyola University today! Have never seen one before in my life.

2. kimberly says:

So they are in South America now too!

Giant Water Bugs in the family Belostomatidae have been reported to us from all continents except Europe, though we suspect they can be found there as well. This Sci-News article provides information on European species.

3. Scarlett and Hudson Dusek says:

We are in San Antonio, Texas. We found this huge bug in our backyard. We think it is a Giant Water Bug like the ones pictured from South Africa. We’ve never seen this large an insect except in the zoo. It flew and we ran screaming. We put it in a jar and took pictures of it then we set it free in the back part of our yard and then wished we hadn’t but killing it would have been like murder it was so big.

4. Piet says:

Hi I found a giant water bug in Alberton about 600 km from Durban , in my work shop and alive.Is this possible ?? And I have photo of the bug