Subject: Luna Moth
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Hello Bugman,
I stumbled across your site and LOVE it!! In my garage in April 2008, I saw a beautiful moth and just had to take a photo (well several photos actually) because of how stunning it was. I had never seen one like it before. I have since identified it as a Luna Moth, however I am unsure of the sex or how you can tell the sex, if you could possibly clarify that for me I’d be grateful. After reading a bit on your site, I learned that it was in it’s final life stage at the time I saw it in my garage. I am hoping it was able to find a mate and reproduce as it was such a beautiful specimen! I am sending in one photo in particular because of how clear the photo turned out, and it is a fairly close photo too, you can see a lot of detail on the wings. I hope you can share the photo on your site as an aid in identification for other people. I am one of those who catch spiders in the house, or wherever, and release them back outdoors, much to my husband’s dism ay! Thank you for your site! I can see it being a big help in the future as I am always trying to figure out what this is or what that was :-).
Signature: Elizabeth

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Hi Elizabeth,
We are thrilled to hear how you are enjoying our site.  We just reported our first Luna Moth of 2013 last week, and we expect to begin posting new photos on a regular basis as winter transitions to spring.  This is a male Luna Moth and you can recognize that because of his antennae.  Male Giant Silkmoths have more developed antennae than females because they locate females through the pheromones they release.  Here is an image of a female Luna Moth from our archives for comparison.

Location: Smyrna, Tennessee

2 Responses to Luna Moth sighted several years ago

1. Suellen says:

I have today seen my first Luna moth, had to come in and look it up!! it was on 1 of many flowers I have planted in my yard!

How thrilling. For the record, Luna Moths do not feed as adults, so it was not nectaring. It was most likely just resting on the plant.