Subject: ’Beaver’Beetle , Bulisa, Uganda
Location: Bulisa, Uganda
February 28, 2013 5:35 am
the attached picture is of a pair of mating beetles on a tree in Uganda. The beetles spend most of their time on the tree and work as a pair to ’beaver’ cut through one branch after another. See the female in the pic continuing to cut on this occasion during mating.
Having cut through 90% of the branch thickness, they then strip all the leaves from all lower sections of the cut branch, then they cut right through the tip end of each section jof the cut branch.
Any suggestions as to what they are and more details on their habits would be interesting.
Signature: Kay

Mating Longicorns

Mating Longicorns:  Analeptes trifasciata

Dear Kay,
These mating Longicorns or Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae are stunningly beautiful, but alas, we cannot research the species as time has run out for us on the computer this morning.  We hope a reader does this research in our absence.

Mating Longicorns

I searched on Beetles of Africa website and found it identified as Analaptes Trifasciata – not found any more details on the very interesting way it appears to harvest the host tree.
I since found a similar beetle similarly identified on your own site.
Thanks for the help,
Regards,
Karl

Location: Uganda

3 Responses to Mating Longicorns from Uganda: Analeptes trifasciata

1. It was not hard to find this Analeptes trifasciata http://www.beetlesofafrica.com/beetle_detail.asp?beetleid=60&page=1&count=y, it seems that the stripes can vary a lot.

2. Kim says:

Hello
    Want to buy dried insects in Uganda.
    Contack me ,please

dorcus04@naver.com