Subject: Unknow insect Townsville
Location: Townsville, Australia
February 27, 2013 7:04 am
Took this photo of this insect this morning on a Passion Fruit Vine.
Signature: Your Sincerly

Probably Coreid Nymph

Probably Coreid Nymph

Dear Sincerly,
We are guessing your name is André as that is the name copyrighted on the photograph.  This is an immature Heteropteran or True Bug and nymphs can be difficult to identify with certainty as they are not as well
documented as adults.  We suspect this is a Coreid Nymph from the family Coreidae, and the members of the family are often called Big Legged Bugs or Leaf Footed Bugs.  Knowing the host plant is a Passion Fruit Vine may assist in our identification.

Location: Townsville, Australia

3 Responses to Probably Coreid Nymph from Australia

1. Hi
    I have photographed the same nymph in Australia. I ‘ve found several similar photos. Somebody thought a Mictis species is a possibility. But not a nymph of Mictis profana (Fabricius, 1803) – Crusader Bug and Mictis caja (Stål, 1865)
    My nymph with the information and photos i’ve found are on https://www.flickr.com/photos/thijsdegraaf/24824781797

Best regards,
    Thijs de Graaf
    The Netherlands

Thanks for the comment. The individual in this posting and in your FlickR posting does resemble this Crusader Bug nymph from our archives, but there are differences. The similarities are good evidence that they might be members of the same genus.

2. Many thanks for the quick reply.
    I had also noticed the resemblance between these nymphs. That’s why I had searched in that genus. Although there are many Mictis species, I only saw three species for Australia. Only for Mictis difficilis (Brailovsky & Barrera, 2006), I could find no information. But I suspect that there are more maybe unknown species like in the answer here http://www.bowerbird.org.au/observations/96634
    Regards, Thijs